WHY?

WHY?

Monday, April 30, 2012

Les Folies Bergeres

It's not a wing chair, which stands stiff by comparison. And it's so much more than an armchair. Strictly defined, a bergère has a closed back. Its cushy, deep, wide, nearly over-upholstered seat cushion must remain loose. And padded or not, its elbow rests sit on upholstered frames. Made for lounging in comfort, its 18th Century French inventors wanted you to free the bergere from stuffy, formal arrangements. Let the fauteuils stand like soldiers against a wall. The beauty of this 360-degree sculptural form is that it looks lovely no matter where you push or pull it to catch the best light, or to draw in closer to conversation. Yes, the club chair in your den may be more plush. But can its clunky square silhouette negotiate the most luxurious of rooms with the bergere's finesse? No, only the bergère  combines glamour and comfort in historic proportions which, I'd argue, make it the best candidate for contemporary homes where guests gather in the same rooms we slouch in. But how modern can it go?  Change out its wood frame for steel and isn't Eero Saarinen's Womb chair a virtual bergère ? Loosen up your expectations. From transitional to the downright hip, we think the following beauties are truly folies bergères


Usona Home Model #08147 (below)



Above, from left to right: Mrs. Godfrey Chair by Jonathan Adler, California Lounge Chair by Barbara Barry for Baker Furniture, Autoban 213 Bergere by De La Espada.






Above: Otto contemporary Bergere by Henredon; Below from left to right: Kalos Apta chair by Antonio Citterio for Max Alto,  
Perla Chair by Jerry Pair

16 comments:

  1. Very lovely, Karin! Wonder why it's called a "bergere," which is francais for shepherd?

    I've seen these chairs a gazillion times, but never knew what they were called. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Winnie! That confused me, too. I can only guess that the arm is often reminiscent of a shepherd's hook?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what do you think about this one?
    http://www.brabbu.com/upholstery/nanook.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, thanks so much for the get info! Cool idea for a coast! I hope you have a great day! Love, Jamie Herzlinger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really awesome work which in seen in your pic, fabulous you were done nice post and interior design

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking to buy Henredon furniture for my home; Your blog will help me to find a best Henredon chair. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those furnitures are well designed. I'd love to have them in my house. Splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this website very often. I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog.
    --------------------------------
    Thanh Le - HomeDesignLove.Com
    http://www.homedesignlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These chairs are amazing! They're so sophisticated and chic. I would love to have one of these in my living room. They would look fab with some plush pattern pillows and my favorite all season Peacock Alley blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent information and facts. Only real difficulty I was basically receiving was viewing the pics. No idea exactly why.

    1. Interior Design Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  11. These retro modern chairs would look fantastic as part of any lounge furniture configuration. Not only do they look fantastic, I bet they're extremely comfortable as well. The wood frame accents really pull the look together in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  12. Great post! Thanks for sharing this information. I gained quite a lot of knowledge after reading your blog thank you.

    Interior Design Gold Coast | Commercial Interior Design Gold Coast | Gold Coast Interior Design

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the last one, so retro and modern at the same time...

    http://mariablancoshop.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these decorating ideas. The designs are so vibrant and the view is so happy and cheerful.
    Design For Small Apartment

    ReplyDelete